CHEAD membership is open to institutions offering higher education in art, design, creative media, and related disciplines. Each member will nominate a main and an alternate representative.
The main representative is usually the most senior academic responsible for art and design in the institution. The alternate representative should be a senior member of staff who can deputise in the main representative’s absence. The main / deputy representatives will have the right to vote and have a say in the direction of CHEAD strategy.
Benefits of CHEAD membership
One of the most important benefits of CHEAD membership is the opportunity to network with peers from other HEIs and to share experiences. This network of support and expertise also provides the strong foundation for much of our activities.
Through our current range of activities, members further have the opportunity to:
- Network: at our meetings and events with peers from across the UK.
- Take up a free space at the CHEAD Annual Conference in March (excluding accommodation).
- Recieve regular policy updates in a fast changing policy landscape. This year, CHEAD responded after consulting members on: the HESA DLHE Review, TEF Technical Consultation for Year II, Lord Stern’s Research Excellence Framework Review, BIS Consultation – Innovate UK’s Integration with Research UK, Implementation of English Baccalaureate and the HE Green Paper.
- Support a voice for the sector: CHEAD has a strong track record in nominating members to participate on curriculum review panels, DfE expert panels and to represent the sector at key debate and events.
- Support your staff: our Leadership Development Programme provides leadership seminars run by peers for aspiring academic leaders.
- Have full access to the CHEAD website, including contacts from our different networks.
- Join our specialist networks: CHEAD supports a Research Alliance, a Gallery Network and a Links Subject Association Network.
How much does it cost?
There are six tiers of membership fees starting at £650 per annum based on art and design student numbers. All membership packages include at least one free place at the CHEAD annual conference. Contact the Membership Manager to discuss which membership package will apply to your institution as well as more information on how to join.
If your institution is joining in the middle of a year, the fee is discounted to cover the remaining months from the 1st of the next month of joining date (= (annual fee / 12) * no. of months remaining).